Saturday, August 15, 2009

Krishnagiri

August 08, 2009

Click to see the pictures from this trip.

On the way to Bangalore from Salem, I stopped at Krishnagiri, just before Hosur, a hill fort town seeped in history. Don't confuse this with Krishnagiri in the Gingee fort complex about 2-3 hours away. Three years back I had climbed the hill half-way through when visiting from the US. This time I was determined to get to the top.

An hour's climb on a not so great trail with a few stops to help my huffing and puffing rest and take in couple of sips from the precious half-liter water bottle we were carrying brought us to some structures barely standing. But the view of the hills around is absolutely fantastic. I wish the day were a bit more clear because the mountains were so hazy to the naked eye, and worse so in the camera. We spent some time walking along the fort wall, checking out the dargah and looking down the steep rock edges all around. Not much to see or do here; not much shade either, but the breeze is good. The climb and the view is worth the effort. I wonder how all those soldiers lived up here, worse, how the enemy had to navigate the slippery steep rocks. We headed back down relatively easily, me suffering a bit more with my ailing knee.

Sometime in the future, I should check out Rayakottah fort and Mallachandram (megalithic site). Check this website as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment